Medical Nutrition Therapy/Nutrition Counseling
“To eat well, you need to combine nutritional science, a jolt of common sense, and pure enjoyment.” -HEATHbeat enewsletter, 3/14/15, Harvard Medical School
Karen Giles-Smith, MS, RDN, offers medical nutrition therapy (nutrition counseling):
Mondays – Thursdays at Campus Village Center, East Lansing, MI
Nutrition counseling is available for several conditions including:
- Eating disorders
- Disordered eating
- Emotional/stress eating
- Family feeding issues
- High blood pressure/hypertension
- High cholesterol and/or triglycerides
- Lactose intolerance
- Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia
- Low bone density/osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Prenatal nutrition
- Weight issues and concerns
(HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices for At Ease with Eating, LLC.)
Nutrition Counseling: Individual Sessions
Nutrition counseling includes evaluating nutritional intake (deficiencies and excesses of nutrients consumed) and nutritional status, and providing nutrition recommendations based on individualized needs. Strategies to meet nutrition and health goals utilize a health-centered approach.
When counseling clients with eating disorders, Karen serves as one member of the client’s treatment team–which includes the client’s physician and mental health professionals–to best support the client and provide the highest quality of care.
Session length and costs: The initial session usually lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes ($150). Follow-up sessions may be 45 minutes ($95) or 1 hour ($125). The frequency and total number of sessions depend on individual need. To facilitate recovery, clients with eating disorders should be seen on a weekly basis during the first phases of treatment.
Insurance coverage varies widely from plan to plan. As the client, it is your responsibility to contact your insurance company in advance of the initial appointment to inquire about and/or confirm coverage for nutrition counseling.
Karen Giles-Smith, MS, RDN, is a provider for McLaren (some, but not all types), Aetna and Cofinity. Karen is also considered an out-of-network provider for several other insurance companies including Blue Cross Blue Shield MESSA. (Clients with BCBS MESSA must pay the full amount of the session fee at the time of service and can then submit the receipt for service to BCBS MESSA for reimbursement). Karen is not a provider for Medicare or Medicaid.
Note: You may need to obtain the ICD-10 code (for the disease/condition that corresponds to the reason for seeking nutrition counseling) from your physician, psychotherapist or psychiatrist. You may also need a physician’s referral and/or prior authorization from your insurance company.
When contacting your insurance company regarding coverage for nutrition counseling:
1) Provide the insurance company representative with the following information:
- Provider Name: Karen Giles-Smith, MS, RDN (registered dietitian), At Ease with Eating, LLC
- Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) number: 716504
- Setting: Private practice (not affiliated with a hospital or physician’s office)
- Office location: At Ease with Eating, LLC, 1151 Michigan Avenue, Suite 106, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Office phone number: 517-332-3105; Office fax number: 888-925-4544
- National Provider Identification (NPI) number: 1619317021
- CPT Codes for nutrition counseling: 97802 (initial session) or 97803 (follow up session)
2) Ask the insurance company representative:
- Is nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian in private practice (not affiliated with a hospital or doctor’s office) a covered benefit under my plan?
- If so, for what conditions/diseases (ICD-10 codes) is nutrition counseling covered? Or, is the ICD-10 code for dietary surveillance and counseling (Z71.3) the proper code to use?
- Do I need a physician’s referral and/or prior authorization?
- How many visits are allowed?
- Is there a deductible and/or co-pay for nutrition counseling sessions? What are the amounts?
Payment options: Check, cash, or credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express or Discover) at the time of service.
For more information and to schedule an appointment: Call 517-332-3105 or 517-969-3109 or send an email to Karen@AtEaseWithEating.com.